Thursday, May 8, 2008

Bay Bridge

Grand opening of my blog . . .

I love the weather and cultural diversity in San Francisco. I don't live in the city but work there. I get to see the beautiful city skyline almost everyday as I cross the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge. I do casual carpool to get a free ride to the city. It's quite interesting. Just wait in line at a designated spot and someone will pick you up. So far it seems to be quite safe and people are really friendly. We usually don't talk inside the car. The benefit for carpooling is to save money and time. It could get very congested during rush hour and the fare to cross the bridge is $4.00. With carpool (3 people minimum in a car), you get to take the HOV lane and no need to pay $4.00. So far, the passengers don't need to pay a single dime. But with gas prices skyrocketing, I've heard that drivers may start asking passengers to chip in gas money......


Eastern span of the Bay Bridge - will be replaced by a new one in 2013 - connects Oakland to Yerba Buena Island.


Western span of the Bay Bridge - Part of it fell down during the 1989 earthquake - connects San Francisco to Yerba Buena Island.


View from the bridge: Ferry Buiding at Pier 1 (Port of San Francisco) with Coit Tower as the backdrop.


Another veiw from the bridge: The "Cupid's Span" sculpture and Rincon park.

No comments: